HUDSON SCHOOL DISTRICT
Regular Board of Education Meeting Minutes
June 12, 2017
1. The regular meeting of the Hudson Board of Education was called to order by President Jamie Johnson at approximately 6:00 p.m. in the first-floor meeting room of the Administrative Service Center, 644 Brakke Drive, Hudson, WI. Members present: Rob Brown, Sandy Gehrke, Bruce Hanson, Jamie Johnson, Sue Kattas and Carrie Whitacre. Administrators in attendance included Superintendent Nick Ouellette, Assistant Superintendent Dave Grambow, Financial Services Director Tim Erickson, Human Resources Director Andrea Voelker, Learning Services Director Sandi Kovatch, Student Services Director Tony Mayer, Communications Services Coordinator Tracy Habisch-Ahlin and Financial Services Manager Mark Kumlien.
2. No citizens chose to speak to the Board about non-action items.
3. Learning Services Director Sandi Kovatch introduced Middle School Technology teacher Chris Deleon and the students from two teams that competed in the eCybermission STEM Competition. Team UT Astrum was represented by Ainsley Kennedy, Julia Ginsbach, Adrienne Weaver and Isabel Brown. Team STEM Solvers was represented by Annika Lautenbach, Lilly Andersen, Sadie Hedding and Ella Sutherland.
4. Kovatch recognized Hudson High School student Nicholas Hanson, who achieved a perfect score of 36 on the ACT Exam.
5. Kovatch announced that five teams from Hudson competed at the Destination Imagination Global Finals in Knoxville, Tennessee. Students from the High School and Middle School teams spoke about the experience and the highlights of competing against teams from around the world.
6. Associate Principal and Athletic Director Stephanie DeVos introduced Angela Huepfel who highlighted the achievements of the Spring Varsity Athletic Teams. Assistant Athletic Director Aaron Moen recognized those students with cognitive disabilities as they prepare to participate in the Special Olympics later this year.
7. Superintendent Ouellette asked Principals and Directors to provide a brief year end report highlighting their building or department.
8. Superintendent Ouellette reviewed the construction projects at the High School and Middle School. Summer offers the opportunity to begin work inside both buildings, and both buildings continue to be on schedule.
9. Superintendent Ouellette spoke about Governor Walker's visit to the Hudson School District and the ongoing negotiations surrounding the budget. A referendum bill is also being proposed, with the Hudson School District still strongly in favor of local control and fewer restrictions.
10. Superintendent Ouellette notified the Board that final approval had been granted to the two student trips to Europe. The trip to Spain is from June 14-22, and the trip to Germany is from June 19 to July 10.
11. President Johnson announced that Bruce Hanson would be the new chair of the Construction Committee, while Rob Brown and Sue Kattas will remain on the committee. Each member will work to find a substitute if they are unable to attend a specific meeting.
12. Rob Brown asked that Superintendent Ouellette's contract be pulled from the consent agenda for discussion. Brown moved, with second by Whitacre, to approve the consent items which include approval of the May 8, 2017 Board Meeting minutes, the May 16, 2017 Special Meeting minutes, the May 30, 2017 Special Meeting minutes, the June 7, 2017 Special Meeting minutes; the personnel hires, changes, retirements, resignations, non-renewals, terminations and leaves (attached); Expenditures in the amount of $5,805,947.48; receipts totaling $3,436,959.81; payroll totaling $1,945,226.76; EFT/ACH payments totaling $1,277,460.45. The motion carried.
13. Hanson moved, with second by Gehrke, to approve the contract for Superintendent Nick Ouellette. The motion carried.
14. Whitacre moved, with second by Kattas, to approve the adoption of Policy Series 200. The motion carried.
15. Gehrke moved, with second by Hanson, to appoint Nick Ouellette as the Hudson School District Representative to the Joint Review Board tasked with the proposed creation of Tax Incremental District No. 5 in the City of Hudson. The motion carried.
16. Hanson moved, with second by Brown, to advise Nick Ouellette in his role as representative for the Hudson School District to the Joint Review Board, to use his discretion and to keep the Hudson School Board updated. The motion carried.
17. Hanson moved, with second by Gehrke, to accept the administration recommendation to hire Jim Dalluhn as the Principal at Hudson Middle School. The motion carried.
18. Gehrke moved, with second by Hanson, to accept the administration recommendation to hire Joshua Halvorson as an Associate Principal at Hudson High School. The motion carried.
19. At 8:54 p.m. Hanson moved, with second by Whitacre, to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried.
/s/ James Johnson, President
___________________________________ (Pub. 11/02/17) WNAXLP