HMS Science Olympiad celebrates season wins
The Hudson Middle School Science Olympiad team just completed its best season to date. The Wisconsin State Science Olympiad competition was held at UW-Milwaukee over the weekend (April 6-7, 2018) and HMS sent 29 future scientists and engineers to represent the school in 23 different events.
The team competed against 42 other teams from around the state. Hudson placed sixth in the state, its best finish to date. HMS students won 26 medals in events ranging from Ecology to Tower Building. Top honors went to eighth grader Ayush Bhakta, who achieved top six honors in all four of his events.
"I'm just so proud of our kids," said Head Coach and eighth grade science teacher Matt Anderson. "They worked really hard all season and to get results at the state level like we got this weekend shows that their determination and persistence paid off."
2018 Wisconsin State Event Medalists are:
• Second in Optics: Ella Schienle (8) and Esme Mergendahl (8)
• Third in Mystery Architecture: Nixon Franta (8) and Grady Neer (8)
• Third in Ecology: Isabel Isaac (7) and Gabby Cesena (6)
• Fourth in Tower: Nixon Franta (8) and Channing Miller (7)
• Fourth in Solar System: Ayush Bhakta (8) and Liam Thoreson (8)
• Fourth in Dynamic Planet: Ayush Bhakta (8) and Shloke Jani (7)
• Fifth in Fast Facts: Abby Olson (8) and Ayush Bhakta (8)
• Fifth in Disease Detectives: Shloke Jani (7) and Gus Richter (8)
• Fifth in Microbe Mission: Grace Jones (7) and Gus Richter (8)
• Fifth in Density: Braden DuCharme (8) and Brett Hauser (8)
• Fifth in Thermodynamics: Kaitlyn Wright (6) and Nolan Gerads (8)
• Sixth in Tower: Braden DuCharme (8) and Brett Hauser (8)
• Sixth in Ecology: Esme Mergendahl (8) and Ayush Bhakta (8)