HUDSON SCHOOL DISTRICT
Special Board of Education Meeting Minutes
November 25, 2013
1. The Special Meeting of the Hudson Board of Education was called to order by Board President Tom Holland at approximately 6:00 pm in the Meeting Room of the Administrative Service Center. Members present: Sandy Gehrke, Bruce Hanson, Tom Holland, Jamie Johnson, Lynn Robson, and Dan Tjornehoj. Also in attendance: Superintendent Mary Bowen-Eggebraaten, Financial Services Director Tim Erickson, Learning Services Director Sandra Kovatch, System Improvement Director David Grambow, Human Resources Director Andrea Voelker, Community Services Coordinator Tracy Habisch- Ahlin, High School Principal Peg Shoemaker and Middle School Principal Dan Koch.
2. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
President Holland appointed Dan Tjornehoj as Acting Clerk in Brian Bells absence.
3. Robson moved, with second by Johnson to adjourn to Closed Session pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes 19.85 (1)(e) for the purpose of deliberating or negotiating the purchase and/or sale of public properties. On a roll call vote, the Clerk recorded the following: Gehrke-yes, Hanson-yes, Holland-yes, Johnson-yes, Robson-yes, Tjornehoj-yes. Motion passed 6-0.
4. Johnson moved, with second by Robson, to reconvene to Open Session. Motion carried.
5.a. Johnson moved, with second by Robson, to proceed with the technical portion of the feasibility study regarding extending City utilities to the County UU property. Motion carried.
5.b. Hanson moved, with second by Johnson, to suspend Roberts Rules of order. Motion carried.
6.a. Mark Boehlke from Hoffman LLC reviewed two preliminary site concept plans for a secondary school on the County UU property. Board members expressed concern regarding the difficult lay-out of a secondary school, parking areas, and physical education/practice fields because of the sites topography. There was consensus to repeat this topic on the December 10, 2013 regular Board meeting agenda. There was Board consensus to also consider other properties for a school site as alternatives and to take action at the same Board meeting on whether putting the County UU property on the market for sale. Robson requested reconsideration of the motion to authorize the City of Hudson feasibility study of extending utilities to the County UU property be added to the December Board meeting. There was consensus of the Board that the district was not ready to share preliminary site plans of the UU property with the Town of Hudson Board or other governmental bodies at this time.
6.b. The Board received copies of the administrative preliminary review of the 3 secondary space grade level configurations without discussion. Sam Statz from Hoffman LLC reviewed the conceptual cost requested by the Board of: furniture, fixtures, and equipment to upgrade the current High Schools science, arts, and tech ed areas in Option 3 at an estimated cost of $1,000,000; a new 900 seat auditorium at an estimated cost of $7,562,500; and a competition swimming pool similar to the one at the current Middle School for $5,512,500.
6.c. The Board received an updated copy of the Pre- and Post- Referendum Timeline Draft but did not discuss it.
6.d. Community Services Coordinator Tracy Habisch-Ahlin shared a Secondary Space for Learning Communication Plan Draft for 2013-14. She reviewed the actions proposed from now until the end of January. A brief Board discussion followed.
6.e. Superintendent Bowen-Eggebraaten communicated that the Boards Facilities and Grounds Committee at its December 3, 2014 meeting would consider the Boards comments from the work session, determine next steps, and prepare for the next work session scheduled for December 19, 2013.
7. Tjornehoj moved, with second by Robson to adjourn. Motion carried.
Daniel Tjornehoj, Acting Clerk
___________________________________ (Pub. 12/19/13) WNAXLP