Weather Forecast


Lightning hits gas line at Krattley Lane residence

Lighting struck a chain link fence next to an underground natural gas line at a town of Hudson residence Wednesday night, causing the gas line to rupture and send flames shooting into the air.

The Hudson Fire Department was called to the Ronald and Kathy Hanke home at 373 Krattley Lane at 8:06 p.m.

Hudson Fire Chief Jim Frye said fire was coming from a hole in the ground next to the house, created when the line exploded.

Frye used a crescent wrench to shut off the gas to private line, which led to a swimming pool heater.

There was no damage to the house. Frye said Ronald Hanke used a garden hose to wet down the cedar shake side of the house, preventing it from catching fire.

Randy Hanson

Randy Hanson has reported for the Star-Observer since 1997. He came to Hudson after 11 years with the Inter-County Leader at Frederic, and eight years of teaching social studies. He’s a graduate of UW-Eau Claire.

(715) 426-1066