Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Assistant Hudson Fire Chief Jeff Dabruzzi, foreground, directs the firefighting effort at 359 Bear Drive early Monday morning, July 22. (Hudson Star-Observer photo by Randy Hanson)

UPDATE: Household goods destroyed in garage fire at 359 Baer Drive

Email

A fire early Monday morning caused structural damage to a three-car, detached garage at 359 Baer Drive and destroyed many of the household goods being stored inside.

Advertisement

Passing motorists noticed smoke coming from the garage and notified authorities, with the first call coming in at 5:26 a.m.

Hudson Fire Chief Jim Frye said Assistant Chief Jeff Dabruzzi was the first on the scene and saw gray smoke billowing out of the garage from "everywhere it could."

Frye said the previous residents of the property were moving out, and had furniture and boxes of goods stored in the garage.

St. Croix County's online land records list Janice and Gary Savall as the owners. There's a real estate for sale sign in front of home, with a tile advertising a "new price."

No one was at the residence when the fire broke out. The property is located at the intersection of Baer Drive and Trout Brook Road in the town of Hudson, a short distance outside of the Hudson city limits.

The town of St. Joseph and Lower St. Croix Valley fire departments aided the Hudson department in trucking water to the scene.

Fyre said the garage was full of stored items, but didn't have any vehicles in it except for an ATV. The garage also has an attic where items were kept.

The fire chief said it appears the fire started in the lower portion of the garage and spread upward. He said the cause hasn't been determined. No foul play is suspected.

The nearby house appears to be unharmed.

Monday morning's fire wrapped up a busy week for Hudson firefighters.

Monday evening, July 15, they burned a vacant home on River Street in Hudson as a training exercise.

At midnight of the next day, they were called to assist United Fire in battling a blaze at the Coachman Restaurant near Baldwin. That call lasted until 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Then Thursday afternoon, July 18, they spent three-and-a-half hours in extreme heat fighting a fire at a house on Edgewood Drive in the town of Hudson.

Advertisement
Randy Hanson
Randy Hanson has reported for the Star-Observer since 1997. He came to Hudson after 11 years with the Inter-County Leader at Frederic, and eight years of teaching social studies. He’s a graduate of UW-Eau Claire.
(715) 426-1066
Advertisement
Advertisement