Parents say DA is overdoing it with sexual assault charges against teenThe parents of a 14-year-old Mequon boy accuse prosecutors of overkill after they charged their son in juvenile court with five counts of sexual assault.
The parents of a 14-year-old Mequon boy accuse prosecutors of overkill after they charged their son in juvenile court with five counts of sexual assault.
Authorities said the boy grabbed the buttocks of a 14-year-old girl and unhooked the bra of a 13-year-old girl during a middle school class last June.
Police later learned of some unreported incidents dating back to October of last year, when the boy allegedly grabbed other girls’ breasts and buttocks when he was 12.
After the latest incident, the school suspended the boy for the final four days of the school year and police were notified.
A judge could order the youngster to register as a sex offender. But the parents are against that, saying it would come back to haunt the boy.
They say it’s impossible for a 12- to 13-year-old to feel sexual gratification by touching girls inappropriately and they quote a therapist who called it “numbskull friendliness.”
Experts will testify on that subject at a Feb. 3 court hearing, where the girls are also scheduled to testify. They tried to get out of that by telling the court in an affidavit that they never felt degraded, and they don’t want the boy charged.
The girls’ parents said the school’s discipline was enough. But Mequon Police say the allegations are serious.
The DA has offered a plea bargain which the boy’s parents have turned down because it still includes a sex conviction.