Holmen fire chief suffers burns after oxygen tank explodesThe fire chief of Holmen was at a Madison hospital at last word, recovering from burns he received when an oxygen tank exploded.
The fire chief of Holmen was at a Madison hospital at last word, recovering from burns he received when an oxygen tank exploded.
Authorities said Chief Doug Schober was alone at the fire station Thursday morning, when some kind of spark ignited in the tank on which he was working.
The blast broke a window and a fire broke out that destroyed portable radios and other equipment sitting on a table. Schober managed to call for help while fighting off his burns.
The station was filled with smoke when firefighters arrived. They had to crawl under the smoke to get to several fire trucks and move them outside.
Schober was taken to a La Crosse hospital before being sent to University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison with hand and arm burns.