Electrical shock injures dog on Second StreetThe city of Hudson isn’t saying what happened last Friday night when a dog crossing Second Street received an electrical shock strong enough to burn its paws, chest and belly.
By: Meg Heaton, Hudson Star-Observer
The city of Hudson isn’t saying what happened last Friday night when a dog crossing Second Street received an electrical shock strong enough to burn its paws, chest and belly.
The dog belongs to Scott Hawkins of New Richmond, a real estate agent with Remax in Hudson. Hawkins was returning to his car with his girlfriend, her children and his black Labrador retriever, Cady, after the Hot Air Affair Parade and fireworks in Lakefront Park.
At around 8:15 p.m. they were crossing from the west side of Second Street to Locust Street when, about three feet from the curb, Cady started to yelp and howl.
Hawkins said Cady started biting at a back foot while she continued to scream and howl in obvious pain. Hawkins said when he tried to touch his dog, she bit his ankle and wouldn’t let go.
“She’s never done anything like that before. I was pretty sure she was dying. I tried to touch her again, and I felt a shock myself.”
Hawkins was puzzled at how it was happening, but he knew his dog was being electrocuted and that her metal collar and leash were helping to conduct the current through her body. Despite being shocked himself, he was able to remove the leash and the collar, and the dog collapsed on to her side.
Hawkins said by this time the dog was foaming at the mouth and all four of her paws were bleeding. He also noted burns on her belly and chest. “I didn’t wait to see what caused it. I just scooped her up and took her to the emergency clinic in Oakdale.”
There a veterinarian treated her burns and paws with antibiotics and gave Cady morphine for the pain. He also ran an EKG of the animal’s heart and did some X-rays. The doctor wanted to keep Cady overnight to watch for seizures or any other complications, but after four hours at the clinic, Hawkins took his dog home.
“She’d been through enough at that point. I just wanted to get her home,” he said.
City Public Works Director Tom Zeuli declined Tuesday to explain what had happened under Second Street to cause the shock, but said the problem had been fixed.
Hawkins said he was told that the city shut the power off on that corner after the incident on Friday night. When he talked with Zeuli on Monday, he was told that there was a short in the wiring from a nearby street light that caused the problem.
The Friday night parade was an anniversary of sorts for Hawkins and his dog. “It was five years ago at the Hot Air Affair that I first got Cady, and we walked in that parade together. I thought it would be fun to do it again. I never expected anything like this.”
Hawkins said Cady is a long-jumping competitor and is an “incredible dog.” His company, Black Dog Homz, is named for her. More photos of Cady are available at his Web site, www.blackdoghomz.com.