UPDATE: Fire department called to North Hudson fireworks businessThe Hudson Fire Department was called to the Marc Zappa residence and Exit 1 Fireworks business in North Hudson at about 1 p.m. Sunday, May 31.
The Hudson Fire Department was called to the Marc Zappa residence and Exit 1 Fireworks business in North Hudson at about 1 p.m. Sunday, May 31.
Firefighters quickly put out a debris fire that was threatening a small wooden storage shed on the property.
According to fire department spokesperson Miranda Kustrich, an employee of the Freedom gas station across Hwy. 35 (Sixth Street N.) from Zappa’s property spotted the fire and notified authorities.
Kustrich said Zappa’s son was burning debris in a fire pit and the wind blew embers from the pit, igniting dry pine needles that lay on the ground.
The fire burned about a 30- by 30-foot area and scorched the back of the storage shed before it was put out, according to Kustrich.
She said the metal building containing the fireworks wasn’t threatened. The fireworks shop was open for business.
The fire department was on the scene for 40 minutes.