HUDSON SCHOOL DISTRICT: 9/11/12 Regular Board Meeting Minutes(Pub. October 18, 2012)
(Pub. October 18, 2012)
HUDSON SCHOOL DISTRICT
Regular Board of Education Meeting Minutes
September 11, 2012
1. The regular meeting of the Hudson Board of Education was called to order by President Tom Holland at approximately 5:30 pm in the High School Auditorium. Members present: Brian Bell, Sandy Gehrke, Pat German, Tom Holland, Mark Kaisersatt, Lynn Robson and Dan Tjornehoj. Administrators in attendance included Superintendent Mary Bowen-Eggebraaten, District Deputy Director/Human Resources Director Nancy Sweet, Learning Services Director Sandra Kovatch, Student Services Director Cory McIntyre and Financial Services Director Tim Erickson.
2. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
3. Learning Services Director Sandi Kovatch presented a report on the District’s advanced placement scholars, noting there were 35 students who received scores of 3 or higher on three or more AP exams; 29 who received an average score of at least 3.25 on all AP exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on four or more of these exams; 10 who received an average score of at least 3.5 on all AP exams taken, and scores of 3 or higher on five or more of these exams; and one student, Brett Ducharme who was a National AP Scholar for receiving an average score of at least 4 on all AP exams taken, and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams.
4. One citizen spoke to the Board
5. Board members and the Board’s legal counsel replied to the citizen.
6.a. Financial Services Director Tim Erickson reviewed the 2012-13 preliminary budget and levy. Tjornehoj moved, with second by Bell to approve the proposed resolution to set the tax levy for 2012-13 as follows:
BE IT RESOLVED:
That a tax in the total amount of $29,188,175 ($24,587,450 General Fund, $4,600,725 Debt Service Fund) be and is hereby levied against the taxable property in the Hudson School District for school purposes.
Gehrke requested a roll call vote. The Clerk recorded the following: Bell-yes, Gehrke-no, German-yes, Holland-yes, Kaisersatt-yes, Robson-yes, Tjornehoj-yes. Motion carried 6-1.
6.b. Robson moved, with second by Kaisersatt, to approve the open enrollment exception application of student #5 to attend the McFarland Virtual School. Motion carried.
6.c. Tjornehoj moved, with second by Robson, to approve the consent items which included the August 14, 2012 Board meeting minutes; the personnel report including hires, changes, retirements, resignations/non-renewals/terminations, and leaves [attached]; expenditures in the amount of $1,186,671.54; receipts in the amount of $11,387,321.24; payroll totaling $2,137,475.47; and EFT/ACH payments totaling $732,599.22; revisions to Policy 5121: Acceleration, Procedure 5121.1: Subject or Grade, Policy 5400: Student Non- discrimination; and approval of the crossing guard position at 4th St. & Vine St. Motion carried.
7. Robson moved, with second by Tjornehoj, to adjourn to Closed Session pursuant to Wisconsin Statutes 19.85(1)(e)(g) to negotiate the purchase of public property and to confer with legal counsel and to discuss negotiation strategy concerning the St. Croix Meadows property. On a roll call vote, the Clerk recorded the following: Bell-yes, Gehrke-yes, German-yes, Holland-yes, Kaisersatt-yes, Robson-yes, Tjornehoj-yes. Motion carried 7-0
The Board discussed negotiations about the purchase of public property and conferred with legal counsel to discuss negotiation strategy concerning the St. Croix Meadows property.
Bell moved, with second by Robson, to adjourn. Motion carried.
Mark Kaisersatt, Clerk