10 Tips for a Less Stressful Kitchen RemodelMike Holmes, The star of HGTV's 'Holmes Inspection' gives us 10 Tips for a Less Stressful Kitchen Remodel.
Holmes listed kitchen renovations as the No. 1 requested project. Like bathrooms, Holmes advises against quick cosmetic solutions to upgrade a kitchen. If the cabinets are ragged and the counter is rotting around the sink, there is a good chance that areas that aren't readily visible, like the plumbing and wiring, are old and in disrepair. A renovation is an opportunity to take a kitchen down to the studs and make it right.
1. Get all the necessary permits.
2. Be present at all building inspections.
3. Resist quick fixes.
4. Pick the flooring surface carefully. For example, avoid wood or laminate "click" flooring for moist, high-traffic areas.
5. Make sure the subfloor is right for the flooring material.
6. Seal stone floors before they are grouted.
7. Consider how porous the countertop material is. Stone surfaces like granite have to be regularly sealed.
8. Consider custom cabinets. They are stronger and built to last. Holmes feels the six to 12-week wait is worth it.
9. Carefully plan lighting with different options, and think about the function of each fixture (for example, under and above the sink, above the stove, etc.).
10. Invest in a quality ventilation system that will vent outside the home.
By J. JEWELL BATES
(c) CTW Features
Tags: home improvementMore from around the web