HUDSON SCHOOL DISTRICT
Regular Board of Education Meeting Minutes
May 8, 2017
1. The regular meeting of the Hudson Board of Education was called to order by Superintendent Nick Ouellette at approximately 6:30 p.m. in the first-floor meeting room of the Administrative Service Center, 644 Brakke Drive, Hudson, WI. Members present: Rob Brown, Sandy Gehrke, Bruce Hanson, Jamie Johnson, Sue Kattas, Heather Logelin and Carrie Whitacre. Administrators in attendance included Superintendent Nick Ouellette, Assistant Superintendent Dave Grambow, Financial Services Director Tim Erickson, Human Resources Director Andrea Voelker, Learning Services Director Sandi Kovatch, Student Services Director Tony Mayer, Communications Services Coordinator Tracy Habisch-Ahlin and Financial Services Manager Mark Kumlien.
2. Superintendent Ouellette outlined the procedure for electing the officer positions for the Hudson Board of Education. Using written ballots, the following Board Members were elected to the following positions: President - Jamie Johnson, Vice President - Bruce Hanson, Treasurer - Rob Brown, Clerk - Carrie Whitacre.
3. No citizens spoke to the Board.
4. E.P. Rock Principal Amy Hamborg was recognized as a recipient of the 2017 Herb Kohl Foundation Outstanding Wisconsin Leadership Award. Recipients of the award are chosen for their superior ability to motivate others and for their leadership and service within and outside the school. Amy has been the Principal at E.P. Rock for 13 years.
5. Superintendent Ouellette provided an update on the construction progress at both the Middle and High School sites. A special meeting of the Board of Education may be required to approve time sensitive contracts at the High School site.
6. Superintendent Ouellette, and five Board members (Brown, Johnson, Kattas, Logelin, and Whitacre) attended an Education Summit on the University of Wisconsin River Falls campus with Speaker of the Assembly Robin Vos and Representative Shannon Zimmerman. Discussion surrounded the upcoming budget bill and its impact on education.
7. President Johnson lead a discussion on how to work a Board Retreat into the upcoming meeting schedule. Consensus was reached to set aside a future work session for a retreat, with no regular district action items on the agenda.
8. Houlton Principal Sue Hellmers announced that the U.S. Department of Education has recognized Houlton as a Green Ribbon School, one of only four schools in Wisconsin to receive this recognition. Houlton focuses its energy on three critical efforts: 1) student leadership, 2) health and wellness, and 3) environmental sustainability.
9. President Johnson reviewed the Monthly Department Updates with Superintendent Ouellette providing some additional details.
10. Financial Services Director Tim Erickson and Nutrition Services Supervisor Peggy Eller presented the new Low or Negative Balance Practice for Meals within the Hudson School District.
11. Financial Services Director Tim Erickson introduced Brian Brewer of Robert W. Baird and Co. to explain options available to the Board for the final referendum financing plan. The Board reached general consensus to have Baird move forward with plans to issue another $10 million in bonds. Final authorization will be determined by the Board at the May 30th work session.
12. Gehrke moved, with second by Hanson, to approve the consent items which include approval of the April 10, 2017 Regular Board meeting minutes, the April 24, 2017 Special Board meeting minutes; the personnel hires, changes, retirements/resignations/non-renewals/ terminations and leaves (attached); Expenditures in the amount of $4,255,293.66; receipts totalling $1,369,133.04; payroll totalling $1,954,139.14; EFT/ACH payments totalling $1,139,178.23. The motion carried.
13. Hanson moved, with second by Logelin, to appoint Rob Brown as the Hudson School District delegate to the CESA #11 Annual Convention on June 5, 2017. The motion carried.
14. Whitacre moved, with second by Hanson, to approve the 2017- 18 Board of Education Meeting Schedule. Regular Board meetings will begin at 6:00 p.m., with Work Sessions beginning at 5:30 p.m. The motion carried.
15. Kattas moved, with second by Brown, to approve the first reading of the Policy Series 200. The motion carried.
16. Gehrke moved, with second by Hanson, to approve the following providers for insurance for the 2017-18 fiscal year: EMC for liability insurance package, Chubb for property insurance and Hastings Mutual for workers compensation insurance. The motion carried.
17. Gehrke moved, with second by Logelin, to approve the proposed 0% internal equivalency rate increase for Health and Dental Insurance for 2017-18. The motion carried.
18. Hanson moved, with second by Whitacre, to convene to closed session pursuant to Wisconsin Statute 19.85 (1)(c) to consider the performance evaluation of administrative employees. On a roll call vote the clerk recorded the following; Brown-aye, Gehrke-aye, Hanson -aye, Johnson-aye, Kattas-aye, Logelin-aye, Whitacre-aye. The motion carried 7-0.
/s/ James Johnson, President
___________________________________ (Pub. 11/02/17) WNAXLP