HUDSON SCHOOL DISTRICT
Regular Board of Education Meeting Minutes
July 10, 2017
1. The regular meeting of the Hudson Board of Education was called to order by President Jamie Johnson at approximately 6:00 p.m. in the first-floor meeting room of the Administrative Service Center, 644 Brakke Drive, Hudson, WI. Members present: Rob Brown, Sandy Gehrke, Jamie Johnson, Sue Kattas, Heather Logelin and Carrie Whitacre. Administrators in attendance included Superintendent Nick Ouellette, Assistant Superintendent Dave Grambow, Chief Financial and Operations Officer Tim Erickson, Chief of Human Resources Officer Andrea Voelker, Director of Teaching and Learning Sandra Kovatch and Assistant Director of Community Relations Tracy Habisch-Ahlin.
2. Hudson resident Shawn German addressed the Board regarding the bus stop location for her children.
3. Superintendent Ouellette responded to Ms. German's comments.
4. Superintendent Ouellette provided an update on both the Middle School and High School construction projects. The current gym floor will be replaced due to water damage, the parking lot construction will begin shortly, while the office and Merlin house near completion. The High School continues to have multiple projects proceeding at the same time. The Auditorium and Stadium are taking shape, while the tennis courts are almost finished and footings and foundation work have begun for the additional classroom space.
5. Superintendent Ouellette informed the Board that the State Budget is in a holding pattern as legislators debate the merits of transportation funding. The education portion of the budget appears safe at this time, with an increase in Open Enrollment aide possible.
6. Board President Jamie Johnson reminded Board members of the State Education Convention held in Milwaukee, January 16-19, 2018. The WASB Regional meeting will be held in Eau Claire on October 24th.
7. Chief Financial and Operations Officer Tim Erickson provided an update on the 2017-18 preliminary budget.
8. Brown moved, with second by Whitacre, to approve the consent items which include approval of the June 12, 2017 Board meeting minutes, the June 26, 2017 Special meeting minutes; the personnel hires, changes, retirements, resignations, non-renewals, terminations and leaves (attached); Expenditures in the amount $2,810,035.83; receipts totaling $12,615,577.69; payroll totalling $3,252,807.04; EFT/ACH payments of $1,372,910.28; the Family Means Employee Assistance Contract (Continuing), the Family Means Student Mental Health Treatment and Related Services (Continuing) and the Northeast Metro 916 Special Education and Related Services Agreement (Continuing). The motion carried.
9. Kattas moved, with second by Logelin, to adopt the administrative recommendation for Academic Standards and Notification for 2017- 18. The motion carried.
10. Brown moved, with second by Whitacre, to waive the first reading and approve Policy #851 Advertising and Sponsorships upon the second reading. The motion carried.
11. Brown moved, with second by Kattas, to approve the agreement with Karges-Faulconbridge, Inc. for commissioning services. The motion carried.
12. At 7:14 p.m. Gehrke moved, with second by Brown to convene in closed session pursuant to Wisconsin statute 19.85(1)(c) to consider the performance evaluation of an administrative employee and pursuant to Wisconsin statute 19.85(1)(g) for conferring with legal counsel for the Board of Education who is rendering oral or written advice concerning strategy to be adopted by the Board with respect to litigation which it is or is likely to be involved. On a roll call vote the clerk recorded the following; Brown-aye, Gehrke-aye, Kattas-aye, Logelin-aye, Whitacre-aye, Johnson-aye. The motion carried.
13. At 9:23 p.m. Hanson moved, with second by Logelin, to reconvene in open session. The motion carried.
14. Gehrke moved, with second by Brown, to ratify the resignation of Anthony Mayer. The motion carried.
15. Brown moved, with second by Kattas, to approve a one year contract for Erin Schiltgen as the Interim Chief of Schools Officer. The motion carried.
16. Logelin moved, with second by Kattas, to approve a one year contract for Fafani Weinzierl as Interim Assistant Director of Student Services. The motion carried.
17. At 9:26 p.m. Brown moved, with second by Whitacre, to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried.
/s/ James Johnson, President
1. President Jamie Johnson called the closed session to order at 7:25 p.m.
2. Attorney Shana Lewis joined the meeting via speaker phone.
3. The Board of Education considered the performance evaluation of an administrative employee.
4. The Board recessed at 8:32 p.m.
5. The Closed session reconvened at 8:45 p.m.
6. The Board recessed at 9:00 p.m.
7. The Closed session reconvened at 9:08 p.m.
8. At 9:23 p.m. Hanson moved, with second by Logelin, to reconvene in open session. The motion carried.
/s/ James Johnson, President
___________________________________ (Pub. 11/02/17) WNAXLP