Weather Forecast


Fire destroys NH home; homeowner injured

Only the shell remains of a house at 722 Pine St. No. in North Hudson after an early Saturday morning fire.

The fire early Saturday morning destroyed a home at 722 Pine St. No. in North Hudson. The home is owned by Pamela and Gregory Stene.

Gregory was injured in the fire when he went back into the house, thinking his son was still trapped in the basement and suffered burns when attempted to get back out of the structure. He is in the burn unit at Regions hospital.

The son, who was sleeping in the basement of the home, had already escaped the fire, but his father was unaware of his getting out of the structure.

Fire Chief Jim Frye said the call came in at about 12:45 a.m. Saturday. He said it appears the fire started on the deck of the home where an outdoor metal fireplace had been used. Frye said those type of units should not be used on wood decks. Also, there was a burning ban in place at the time.

“It appeared the bottom may have burned out, dumping the hot coals onto the deck,” Frye said.

He said the house was a total loss – only some of the walls are still standing.

“We could see the glow of the fire as we were coming across the North Hudson Bridge,” Frye said. “The fire spread really fast.” The department did not clear the station until 5:30 a.m.

Assisting in the fight were Lower St. Croix Valley, Roberts (Warren), River Falls and St. Joseph.

“The poor St. Joe fire fighters had their pancake breakfast Saturday morning,” Frye said.

Doug Stohlberg

Doug Stohlberg has been part of the Hudson Star-Observer since 1973 and has been editor since 1987. He worked at the New Richmond News from 1971 to 1973. He holds a bachelors degree in journalism from the University of Minnesota.

(715) 808-8600