Weather Forecast


High-speed driver flips car, gets hurt

A 32-year-old Hudson woman allegedly led police on a high-speed chase in River Falls from North Main and Cedar streets to Hwy. 65 past the just-closed Harley Davidson dealership.

The woman's 1997 Mercury Mountaineer then struck gravel, lost control, turned sideways and rolled about six times down into a culvert.

Police say speeds on Main Street near County MM were about 60 mph and faster than 90 mph by the Paulson Road intersection as the woman's SUV pulled away. She allegedly passed another northbound car in the center turning lane at North Main and Union streets.

The incident occurred at 2:40 a.m. Saturday. Road conditions at the time were described as dry and, fortunately, there was little traffic.

The driver, Tracy L. Anderson, 1400 Namekagon St., #210 in Hudson, was injured in the crash and later taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. She was also charged with drunk driving and fleeing police.

The pursuing officer said Anderson was "weaving all over the road" but ignored the squad car's siren and emergency lights to stop. That's when the chase began.

The officer said Anderson failed to turn left from the overpass onto the Hwy. 35 exit toward Hudson. She drove into the shoulder by the vacated St. Croix Harley Davidson shop, then accelerated again on Hwy. 65 toward Roberts. A short while later she crashed and overturned.

Police say Anderson has partly trapped and screaming when two officers arrived to assist her. She was dressed only in a tank top and jeans. Because of the cold, she was covered with a disposable blanket until an ambulance came.

After searching Anderson's vehicle, police claim to have recovered a partly consumed bottle of whiskey and one of brandy. With help from River Falls firefighters, the badly smashed-up, smoking vehicle was towed.

Anderson was first taken to River Falls Area Hospital. An official blood draw was done there to check her blood-alcohol level.

Before she was transferred to Regions, Anderson was informed she was under arrest and given a $726 fine. Because she claimed to be in extreme pain, Anderson wouldn't talk about what had happened.

The case is expected to be turned over to the St. Croix County district attorney.