Weather Forecast


Success: Sunken yacht raised on second attempt

The 60-foot Find Time yacht was above water again early Thursday morning, Sept. 5. A floating crane from the Stillwater bridge construction site, coupled with huge pumps bailing water, were used to raise it the previous night. (Hudson Star-Observer photos by Randy Hanson)1 / 6
Water is pumped from the yacht Wednesday night, Sept. 4, as a construction crane slowly raises the boat to the surface of the St. Croix River.2 / 6
A crew from Edward Kraemer & Sons Construction attaches a hoist cradle to the sunken Find Time yacht early Wednesday evening, Sept. 4.3 / 6
An Edward Kraemer & Sons Construction crane is silhouetted against the night sky as it slowly raises the sunken yacht.4 / 6
A cleaning of the 60-foot Find Time yacht appeared to be under way Thursday morning, Sept. 5. The lower two decks of the boat were submerged in the St. Croix River at Hudson for five days.5 / 6
The yacht that spent five days partially submerged in the St. Croix River next to the dike road in Hudson was back on top of the water Thursday morning, Sept. 5.6 / 6

The second tried proved to be the charm for the crew working to raise a sunken yacht in the St. Croix River at Hudson.

A crane from the Stillwater bridge construction site was able to lift the 65-foot, three-story SkipperLiner to the surface early Thursday morning, aided by huge pumps that bailed water from the boat as it was raised.

The Edward Kraemer & Sons crane arrived at the dock along the dike road in Lakefront Park sometime around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Beginning early Wednesday morning, a crew from Tjader & Highstrom, a New Richmond company that installs power and communication lines, bored under the boat to place straps beneath the hull.

The straps were attached to a hoist cradle, and the cradle, to the lift cable of the crane.

Getting the cradle attached and properly placed took an hour or more.

It was a slow process once the crane started to lift the load. A stream of water could be seen being pumped from the boat.

At 9:30 p.m., a part-time Hudson police officer keeping unauthorized people from going onto the dike road said the yacht had been raised about four feet.

At 6:45 a.m. Thursday, the yacht was standing next to the dock along the bank of the dike road.

The boat sank sometime during the early morning of Friday, Aug. 30.

It reportedly had been out on the water the previous night. Hudson Parks Supervisor J.J. Barnes noticed it listing in the water early the next morning.

The first attempt to raise the boat was made on Labor Day, Sept. 2. It came to an end when a cleat the hoist cradle was attached to came loose.

More on the story will be reported as the information becomes available.

Randy Hanson

Randy Hanson has reported for the Star-Observer since 1997. He came to Hudson after 11 years with the Inter-County Leader at Frederic, and eight years of teaching social studies. He’s a graduate of UW-Eau Claire.

(715) 426-1066