Weather Forecast


Hudson runners are OK, but many were close to the blasts in Boston

Ten Hudson runners are listed as having participated in the Boston Marathon and all runners and their families are okay, but several were near the bomb blasts that rocked the event Monday.

The explosions of at least two bombs killed three people and injured over 140 at the annual event.

Lisa Wasson, wife of Hudson runner Dewain Wasson, said he was in a shower-type area near the finish line when the explosion occurred.

"He heard the blasts, but it took a few minutes to figure out what was happening," Lisa said. "Then cell phone service was shut down, so he couldn't call us -- it made for some anxious times."

Wasson, 47, was running his third Boston Marathon, but each has been marred by some personal experience.

"He ran his first two years ago and had surgery shortly thereafter; his second was last year and he was overcome by the heat," Lisa said. This year everything was looking good -- he had a personal best time, and then the bombs went off."

Lisa was planning to make the trip, but a recent gall bladder surgery prevented her attendance. Dewain was due home Tuesday afternoon.

A relative of Suzanne Ferrara, 35, of Hudson said she was just a block away from the blast. She had just finished the race moments before the bombs went off.

She and her husband were just starting to walk away from the finish line area when the bombs exploded. She was due home Tuesday night.

Tommy Datwyler, 26, of Hudson, was about one block from the finish line when the bombs went off. His father, Tom Datwyler of T&T Collision, was talking with his son on the phone about an hour after he finished the race when he heard a loud noise over the line and the connection was lost.

"We didn't really think anything about that," said his mother, Tammy. The couple was waiting to board a plane in the Orlando airport for the Twin Cities after a trip to see their new granddaughter. "Then I saw the reports on the television. We kept trying to get through to him but couldn't. We had to board the plane not knowing. I was feeling pretty shaky."

After arriving home, Tommy did contact his parents. He told them that he, Brian Dahl and Bill Feyereisen had finished the race and were fine. Feyereisen had stopped into the medical tent at the finish line for some attention. He had just left the tent and all three men had moved away from the finish line when the explosions occurred.

Tommy described the scene as totally chaotic. The three men tried to board the train to leave the area but were told by a transit worker that it had been shut down and she didn't know why.

They were also concerned about another runner with local ties, Laura Howard, who had started the race behind them. They were unable to locate her but later heard she was not hurt.

Tommy Datwyler works as a political finance strategist in the Twin Cities.

Kelli Mutschler, 40, of Hudson reported on Facebook Monday that "All of us runners are okay that I know from Hudson. Lots of chaos and activity. Praying no more issues!"

Mutschler crossed the finish line about 24 minutes before the explosions.

"Too close for my comfort," she wrote. "I heard a boom and looked behind me to see smoke and another boom. Very scary."

Dr. Steven Adorn ran in the Boston Marathon and reported to the Hudson Physicians Clinic that he was fine.

"I don't know much more than that," said Hudson Physicians Administrator Ernie Wallin. "He is expected home on Wednesday."

The entry list of Hudson runners came from the Boston Marathon website. Other former Hudsonites also ran in the race, but the official Hudson list of runners included:

Dr. Steven Adorn, 54.

Kristin M. Carlson, 41.

Brian Dahl, 26.

Thomas C. Datwyler, 26.

Suzanne M. Ferrara, 35.

Paul F. Jaeger, 47.

Kelli Mutschler, 40

Lindsey V. Sarrack, 36.

Dewain Wasson, 51.

Megan Westhoff, 36.

Sarrack, however, reported on her Facebook page that she did not run this year, she wrote: "Decided not to go to Boston Marathon this year because of grad school. To all my Boston running friends from Hudson and elsewhere God Bless you and your families. I am praying for your safe return."

Neighbor boy killed

Cory Heaton, formerly of Hudson, now of Boston, was at home in Boston during Monday's race but saw television trucks outside a house down the street as he and his wife left for work Tuesday morning.

He learned that the 8-year-old boy who was killed in the bombing was his neighbor Martin Richard. The boy's sister, age 6, reportedly lost a leg in the blast and his mother has a severe head injury. His father, who is a runner, was not participating in the race. The family was there to support friends.

Heaton said he saw Martin playing catch with his father on Sunday afternoon.