Weather Forecast


Three shot in downtown Hudson; two charged with attempted murder

The three victims in the Sunday morning shooting rode in the SUV pictured here with its doors open. Reports say there were six people who rode to Hudson in the SUV. (Hudson Star-Observer photo by Meg Heaton)1 / 4
Chief Marty Jensen interviewed two witnesses at the scene shortly after the shooting. According to police, victims and witnesses are not cooperating with police investigators. (Hudson Star-Observer photo by Meg Heaton)2 / 4
Spirit Seller manager John Kromer was not at the store at the time of the incident but came on scene shortly after it happened and went in to check on employees and customers in the store still inside being interviewed by police. (Hudson Star-Observer photo by Meg Heaton)3 / 4
About a dozen yellow evidence markers identify blood spatters found at the scene of the shooting outside the Spirit Seller Sunday morning. (Hudson Star-Observer photo by Meg Heaton)4 / 4

Homicide charges were filed Tuesday against two Minneapolis men following a Sunday morning, Jan. 19, shooting in the parking lot in front of Spirit Seller Liquors in downtown Hudson that left three people injured, one critically.

The two men facing charges are Guled Bile Abdi, 22, and Ahmed Farah Hirsi, 26, both believed to be Somali. Both men are charged with six counts of attempted first degree homicide, three counts of first degree reckless injury and six counts of recklessly endangering safety.

The men are currently being held in the Hennepin County Jail awaiting extradition to St. Croix County.

The victims in the shooting are identified as Abdirahman Abdirizak Hersi, 23, of Minneapolis; Mohamed Deballa Hussein, 21, of Savage, Minn.; and Fartun Ibrahim Aidid, 28, of Hopkins, Minn. Police reported that Hersi and Hussein were released from the hospital, but Aidid remains at Regions in critical condition and on a respirator. According to reports there were three other passengers in the SUV being used by the victims but they were unhurt.

According to Hudson Police Chief Marty Jensen, the shooting occurred just before 9:25 a.m., and St. Croix EMS took three patients -- two men and one woman -- to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. Two suspects were taken into custody more than an hour later at a Hampton Inn hotel in Bloomington, Minn., at 2860 Metro Drive.

According to the Hudson Police Department, witnesses reported that a tan late-90s Cadillac sedan was involved in the incident and had fled the scene into Minnesota. Within an hour an Eagan, Minn., police officer spotted a vehicle matching the description of the suspect vehicle and followed it to the Bloomington hotel where the arrests were made


"When officers approached this vehicle it was found abandoned. The two suspects were later apprehended a short distance from this hotel. It was later learned that these suspects had entered the hotel prior to being stopped and had placed possible evidence in the hotel," according to the HPD press release.

The evidence was recovered by the Bloomington Police Department and it was turned over to the Hudson Police Department, along with the suspect vehicle.

HPD Chief Marty Jensen said that the victims are being interviewed but are not cooperating with investigators. The chief said the motive for the shootings is unclear or why the two groups tangled in the parking lot that morning.

What is known is that two of the victims went into the store to buy liquor but the credit card they used was declined. The two then left the store and ended up talking with suspects in the parking lot just before the shots were fired.

Scanner audio from the incident is available at the Minnesota Police Clips website. Police Clips also has scanner audio of Bloomington and Eagan officers taking the suspects into custody at the Bloomington hotel.

Spirit Sellers, located at 203 Second Street, is owned by Dick and Carole Fey and managed by son-in-law John Kromer and his wife, Jamie.

Kromer said two employees were at the Spirit Seller when the gunshots went off outside. Shortly after, the two male shooting victims came into the store asking for assistance.

The employees called 911 and had the men sit down to wait for the ambulance to arrive. They gave them water and tried to help them relax.

One of the employees looked out the window after hearing the shots and saw the tan Cadillac speeding away.

Kromer said his family has operated the Spirit Seller for 36 years and this was the first act of violence involving firearms to take place nearby.

“Nobody wants that,” he said. “We’re getting closer to the cities.”

Kromer wanted to thank the Hudson police offices and St. Croix EMS personnel who he said responded quickly to the shooting.

“They got in here and buttoned it down and got it wrapped up very effectively,” he said.

The liquor store reopened later in the day, after police had finished collecting evidence and documenting the scene.

Spirit Seller Liquors is one of multiple businesses in the River City Center strip mall. Carbone's Pizzeria, Riverfront Athletic Club and Croixview Chiropractic are also located there.

Meg Heaton

Meg Heaton has been a reporter with the Hudson Star Observer since 1990. She has a bachelor’s degree in anthropology and Native American Studies from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

(715) 808-8604