Hudson police: Tip jar stolen; Exploding propane tank reported
• A theft was reported from Menards on Gateway Boulevard at 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24. The man walked through a register lane with a box of merchandise and took steps toward the customer service desk before proceeding straight for the exit doors. An employee yelled for the man to stop, but he started running and threw the merchandise in the vehicle before fleeing the scene. The stolen merchandise was identified as a wired security camera kit, which is sold for $239.99. An officer attempted to call the registered owner of the vehicle, but was told by an unidentified woman that the owner had died a month ago and no one should have the vehicle.
• The tip jar was stolen from Caribou on Carmichael Road at 5:20 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24. An employee said a man came into the store and asked for a cup of water. The employee noticed the tip jar was gone a few minutes later. The tip jar had about $6 in it.
• Three cartons of cigarettes were stolen from Holiday Station on Coulee Road on Thursday, Nov. 23, and reported on Sunday, Nov. 26. An unknown male came into the store on Nov. 23 around 12:30 p.m., and asked for three cartons. When the employee put them on the counter, he grabbed them and ran out of the store.
• On Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 10:40 a.m. damage and theft was reported from a vehicle on Locust Street. The owner said her back passenger window had been broken out, and several items taken including two blankets valued at $60, a work bag valued at $10 and two pairs of work shoes valued at $240. The damage to the window was estimated at $400.
• An attempted theft was stopped at T-Mobile on Crestview Drive. The manager noticed a man looking at items when he appeared to conceal something under his jacket. The man then left the store, and the manager confronted him in the parking lot. He handed over a speaker from under his jacket. Nothing else was noticed missing from the store.
A possible explosion was reported in the area of Northridge and Grandview drives by a man who called several times. An officer in the area made contact with a homeowner nearby, who said he had caused the loud explosion. The family was having a bonfire, and used a propane tank to help start the damp wood. They then forgot about the tank and after several minutes removed it from the fire pit. The tank was very hot and placed in the grass in the middle of the backyard. The tank then "blew up" causing an explosion described as similar to large fireworks used for professional shows. No one was hurt. The homeowner asked the officer not to tell the neighbor what had happened, due to a long neighbor feud that sometimes occurred. The officer called back the complainant, who demanded to know what the noise was and that the neighbor get cited for a noise violation. The officer said a warning was procedure for first time complaints.
On Thursday, Nov. 25, a resident on Vine Street reported someone had knocked over their cement and mosaic birdhouse from the concrete pole at the end of the driveway. Her Christmas lights were unplugged. The birdhouse was valued at $1500.
Vehicle damage at Walmart
Vehicle damage was reported on Thursday, Nov. 30 at 10:45 a.m. along Crestview Drive. A man had parked his vehicle in the Walmart parking lot before leaving to another store. There he noticed damage to his vehicle on the rear passenger side panel. There was red paint transfer on the spot, but the man did not recall any type of red vehicle parking next to him.