Weather Forecast


Sprinklers go off in St. Patrick School gymnasium

The sprinkler system in the St. Patrick School gymnasium activated early Sunday morning, March 30, setting off an alarm that brought the Hudson Fire Department to the school.

But Principal Mary Piasecki says there was no fire and the water caused only minimal damage to the gymnasium.

Firefighters shut off the sprinklers and the school’s janitors dried out the gym, Piasecki said. Students were able to use it on Monday.

Piasecki said one section of the heating system may have overheated, but she wasn’t sure if that caused the sprinklers to go off.

The school’s boiler is operating, she said. “Everything is working fine.”

The fire department was dispatched to the school at corner of Fourth and St. Croix streets at 6:26 a.m. Sunday.

Randy Hanson

Randy Hanson has reported for the Star-Observer since 1997. He came to Hudson after 11 years with the Inter-County Leader at Frederic, and eight years of teaching social studies. He’s a graduate of UW-Eau Claire.

(715) 426-1066