BAYFIELD — This Airbnb experience will not be for the faint of heart.
If you've ever wanted to go off the grid and get back to living at its very basics, this Bayfield Rustic Yurt is the perfect opportunity for you. With no electricity or indoor plumbing, this experience is truly about getting outdoors and connecting with nature in the northern-most tip of the state of Wisconsin in Bayfield County Forest.
Pricing: $75 per night
Bedrooms: 2 bunk beds
Bathrooms: 1 outhouse
"Nestled in the middle of the Bayfield County Forest, this rustic, minimally maintained yurt has direct access to miles of non-motorized rec trails (mountain bike, cross-country ski and hiking). Enjoy panoramic views of Lake Superior, including all of Pike's Bay, four of the Apostle Islands (Madeline, Basswood, Stockton and Michigan) and the U.P. The view of Michigan Island also includes the lighthouse. Come prepared to relax, unwind and explore the wonders of the north woods.
This yurt is nestled in the Bayfield County Forest and is only accessible by foot, snowshoe, ski, or bike. Our yurts are 20 feet in diameter and insulated for year round use, complete with woodstove. Fire wood is provided only for heating with the woodstove. The yurt comes equipped with 2 bunk beds; a full mattress on the bottom and a twin mattress on top and sleeps up to 6 people. No linens or pillows are provided, so be sure to pack your sleeping bag. A custom made table, along with six chairs, are also located inside the yurt.
Outside the yurt there is a bear proof box to store all your food, along with a large deck (to take in views of the lake, islands, northern lights and shooting stars), picnic table, fire ring, and outhouse. This is bear country and the yurts are made out of fabric. Please use the box to store all food and never leave food inside the yurt.
A rundown of the basics:
- Bathrooms: the yurt does not have indoor plumbing, nor access to water, but is located near a pit toilet/outhouse, which is available year-round.
- Capacity: Can sleep up to 6 people. Additional overnight guests are not allowed.
- Accessibility: Only accessible by foot, snowshoe, ski, or bike. No motorized vehicles, of any kind, are allowed. The hike in is about 0.8 miles, up hill nearly the entire way. There are steep stretches, so please take your time and plan accordingly (depending on fitness levels and how much gear you are packing, plan on 25 to 45 minutes for the hike in).
- Cooking: the yurt has an indoor table and outdoor picnic table and fire ring with grill grate for outdoor cooking, and a bear proof box for secure outdoor food storage. No candles, or other open flames are allowed inside the yurt. Cooking is permitted in the yurt only during the winter (on top of the metal hot plate). Extra caution must be used when cooking inside the yurt.
- Electricity: no access to power.
- Water: there is no running water or direct/immediate access to water at the yurt. Please plan accordingly. Closest water sources would be the ski chalet at Mt. Ashwabay, Lake Superior (must be filtered), or the cities of Washburn or Bayfield.
- Heat: Yurts have a wood stove for heat. Split firewood is provided for use in the woodstove only. Matches, lighters or other ignition sources are not provided, so please plan accordingly.
- Firewood: Wood will be provided for the wood stove which heats the yurt. Firewood for the woodstove is stored under a large covered lean-to. Dead and down wood can be collected from the surrounding forest for use in the fire ring. A bow saw and axe are also provided.
- Pets: no pets allowed within the yurt or on the premises. No exceptions.
- Smoking: no smoking within the yurt. If you do smoke outside, please discard butts in the fire ring."
See the full listing or contact the host at airbnb.com.