Hudson School District
Regular Board of Education Meeting Minutes
May 13, 2019
1. The regular meeting of the Hudson Board of Education was called to order by Superintendent Nick Ouellette at approximately 6:00 p.m. in the first-floor meeting room of the Administrative Service Center, 644 Brakke Drive, Hudson, WI. Members present Bob Baumann, Rob Brown, Bruce Hanson, James Johnson, Sue Kattas, Heather Logelin, and Carrie Whitacre. Administrators in attendance included Superintendent Nick Ouellette, Assistant Superintendent Dave Grambow, Chief Financial, and Operations Officer Tim Erickson, Chief of Human Resources Officer Andrea Voelker, Chief of Schools Officer Erin Schiltgen, Director of Teaching and Learning Sandra Kovatch, Assistant Director of Community Relations Tracy Habisch-Ahlin, and Assistant Director of Finance Mark Kumlien.
2. Superintendent Ouellette reviewed the process for electing officers to the Board of Education, and called for nominations for President. Sue Kattas nominated Jamie Johnson for President. Superintendent Ouellette called for nominations three more times, hearing none he asked for a motion to approve Jamie Johnson as President. Hanson moved, with second by Logelin, to approve Jamie Johnson as President. The motion carried on a voice vote. Superintendent Ouellette turned control of the meeting over to Board President Jamie Johnson. President Johnson called for nominations for Vice-President. Bob Baumann nominated Bruce Hanson and Rob Brown nominated Heather Logelin. Bruce Hanson was elected Vice-President by secret ballot. President Johnson called for nominations for Treasurer. Carrie Whitacre nominated Heather Logelin for Treasurer. President Johnson called for nominations three more times, hearing none he asked for a motion to approve Heather Logelin as Treasurer. Kattas moved, with second by Hanson, to approve Heather Logelin as Treasurer. The motion carried. President Johnson called for nominations for Clerk. Logelin nominated Carrie Whitacre for Clerk. President Johnson called for nominations three more times, hearing none he asked for a motion to approve Carrie Whitacre as Clerk. Logelin moved, with second by Hanson, to approve Carrie Whitacre as Clerk. The motion carried.
3. No citizens spoke to the Board of Education about non-action items.
4. Superintendent Nick Ouellette reviewed the goals and agenda for the May work session with consultant Drew Howick.
5. Superintendent Ouellette reviewed some of the end of year assessments that students are taking, and the important information gained from the results.
6. Assistant Superintendent Dave Grambow invited Assistant Director of Technology Jennifer Lotze to provide an update on the ongoing District cyber security and data privacy efforts.
7. Director of Teaching and Learning Sandra Kovatch introduced Houlton Elementary Art Teacher Cindy Burak-Gresmer and Houlton student Joey Repphun. Joey received the Wisconsin Child Merit Award for his watercolor project about skyscrapers.
8. Assistant Director of Finance Mark Kumlien answered questions about the 2018-2019 budget.
9. Hanson moved, with second by Brown, to approve the consent items which include the approval of the April 8, 2019 Regular Board meeting minutes, the April 22, 2019 Special Board meeting minutes, the personnel hires, changes, retirements, resignations, non-renewals, terminations, and leaves (attached), Expenditures in the amount of $3,957,760.26, receipts totaling $1,932,230.49; payroll totaling $2,010,834.33; EFT/ACH payments totaling $1,298,059.16, approval of the 2019-2020 Semester 1 Early College Credit Program/Start College Now, and approval of the District Wide Copier Lease. The motion carried.
10. Chief of Human Resources Officer Andrea Voelker recognized two staff retirements from the Middle School. Elizabeth Hovland has been with the District for 30 years as a math teacher, and Brenda Foust has been with the District for 25 years as Nutrition Services worker.
11. Kattas moved, with second by Whitacre, to approve the first reading of Part 5 of the Personnel Policies Series #500. The motion carried.
12. Hanson moved, with second by Whitacre, to approve the 2019-2020 Board of Education meeting dates. The motion carried.
13. At 6:56 p.m. Hanson moved, with second by Kattas, to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried.
James Johnson, President
_____________________________________ (Pub. 06/20/19) WNAXLP